Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Monday, June 27, 2011

Independence Day

A large part of my job at Independence National Historical Park is to interpret the American War for Independence in a way that encourages an intellectual and emotional connection with a diverse people. As we come closer to the anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, I thought I would share just a bit of where I work.

An interpretation of the room where Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence at the Graff House.









The Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"








"...with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."





3 of the 59 signers:



John Hart: a man who could not be home when his wife died as his home in NJ was occupied by the British.







Stephen Hopkins: Had a disease that made his hand shake and said, "My hand may waiver, my heart stands firm."










Benjamin Franklin had to choose principle over family as his son remained loyal to the king and had to move to England.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.!!!!
    Independence Day Gifts

    ReplyDelete

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!